The project idea that we are about to discuss under Mechanical Engineering Project Idea can come handy to amaze your friends and family. You can use Archimedes Screw Pump Project to show your engineering skills and knowledge and flabbergast everyone around you. The project idea has rightly been kept under Fun with Projects category keeping in mind the difficulty level of the project.
Archimedes screw pump works on a very useful concept in Mechanical Engineering known as Archimedes Screw pump. The pump is very simple to make and is used to transfer water from low lying location to relatively high lying location.
Archimedes Screw pump is a machine historically used as a method to transfer water from a low lying water body into irrigation lands and ditches. The device was designed by Archimedes in 3rd century BC to get rid of the water leaked into the ship. The method is so effective that it is still used in many modern mechanical engineering applications as well.
What is Archimedes Screw Pump?
Before getting into the project let us through some light on exactly what the device is. The screw pump in its simplest form consists of a screw embedded inside a hollow pipe with the help of a shaft. When this shaft is turned either manually or by connecting it to some other aid like windmill, the bottom end scoops up water from low lying location. This water slides up the spiral tube and pours out from top of the tube.
- PVC pipe
- Clear tubing
- Sticky tape
- Two bowls
How to Make Archimedes Screw Pump:
- Using sticky tape wrap clear tubing around PVC pipe leaving some part of the tubing hanging free at both the ends of the PVC pipes as shown in the figure below.
- Wrap the tubing carefully around the PVC pipe in regular interval and pin it at both ends with the help of sticky tapes.
- There should be around 1/4 inch of tubing hanging at both the ends of the pipe where it has been taped.
- The starting section of tubing will scoop the water into the tubing and end section will pour the water out.
- Wrapping the tubing at regular intervals will give the period of tubing for calculations if required.
With this the basic set-up of screw pump is ready for the trick you are about to perform. Now lets set the two locations to transport water from lower to higher region. You can add color to the water to have track of water going through the tubing.
- Place two bowls keeping some difference in slope between them. It can be done by keeping one bowl at relatively higher position than the other.
- Now place the Archimedes screw pump across the two bowls as shown.
- Make sure that the hanging part of the wrapped tubing is inside bowls.
Now lets see how the screw pump works.
Working of Archimedes Screw Pump:
When the screw is turned, water gets scooped into the tubing hanging out of the PVC pipe. As the screw is turned, water travels from lower bowl through tubing. Make sure the water does not fall back by adjusting the slope. Turn the screw several time to make sure water is traveling through the tubing. You can also vary turning speed to see how fast water climbs up.
Once you are sure about the technique, speed and slope of screw, you can go and make the trick work in front of your friends and showcase your talent.